Introduction or Background
Inclusion is anchored on the fundamental human right to education for all promulgated in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), specifically Article 24, strengthened the global shift towards inclusion by mandating States parties to improve education systems and undertake measures to fulfil the rights of persons with disabilities to quality inclusive education. Despite overall progress in education attainment globally, higher education for students with disabilities remain one of the most marginalized segments.
According to NSSO, just 1.2% of the 3.6 lakh disabled youth are in the Universities and Colleges. It brings the stark reality into an established truth that India’s higher educational system is not accessible to 98.8% of its disabled youth.
Hence these studies shows that not only education but accessing inclusive employment opportunities for People with Disabilities are still challenges. The aim of this seminar is to create an awareness among different stakeholders on different employment opportunities arising newly in the job market and how to prepare PwD students to access these opportunities in a better way.
Objectives of the Seminar
- To create awareness on current employment opportunities for students with disabilities.
- To Emphasize on challenges & opportunities to access inclusive higher educational and employment for students with Disabilities.
- To build a channel between the Corporates and educational institutes for creating better employment opportunities for students with Disabilities.
Higher educational institutes placement heads, IT heads and administrative heads (Directors, Dean & Principal & other higher authorities).
- Speakers: 1. Mr. Prateek Kaul, Founder GiftAbled. 2. Roy C Thomas, NASSCOM foundation, 3. Mr. Yudhisther Yadav, Salesforce.
- Format of the webinar: Panel discussion followed by question and answer.
- Duration: 1 hour.
- Technology: Google Meet.
- Date & time: Friday, 17th June 2022 – 11.00 AM to 12.00 PM